"H.J. Woltring, fax/tel +31.40.413 744" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 13 May 1992 16:30:00 N
Dear fellow list-owners,

Following the debate on registering Internet aliases on BITNET, I have drafted
the following note, to be sent out on my list.  However, before doing so, I'd
like to sollicit your (incl. Eric's/Turgut's) comments.  My reason is that
quite a few BITNET sites on my list have unregistered Internet aliases, and
I have a number of PRV files on the ListServer, i.e., for members only.  I'd
like to call upon my > 500 subscribers to check out their own situation,
rather than doing it all by myself, or having to explain problems each time
a bewildered subscriber tells me that (s)he doesn't seem to be authorized to
retrieve a particular PRV file.

Thanks in advance,

Herman J. Woltring <for [log in to unmask], aka [log in to unmask]>
Dear <TechRep>,

While checking on BITNET <--> Internet equivalences for our site, I saw that
our Internet alias <subsub.sub.domain> has not been registered in BITNET, by
using the

   SHOW ALIAS <our_BITNET_name>

command to [log in to unmask]  May I suggest that you send the following
email note to [log in to unmask]:

   MODIFY NODE <our_BITNET_name>
   :Internet.<subsub.sub.domain>

(plus any additional aliases on the second line, separated by single spaces).

This will be helpful for ListServer users if they should use an Internet
mailer for retrieving PRV files from a LISTSERVer list to which they have
been subscribed under their BITNET address -- or vice-versa.  Also, routing
of email between BITNET and Internet will thus be facilitated for our site.

I am asking this because I am subscribed to a ListServer list with a number
of PRV (PRiVate, i.e., for subscribers only) files on the ListServer.

Thank you for your attention,
and with kind regards,

   <yyyyyy>