"David L. Merrifield" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Jul 1995 10:51:00 -0500
On Thu, 20 Jul 1995, Cherrie Noble wrote:
> As a result of the rash of spammers lately, I've changed my lists to send=
> private, and I also confirm new subscribers to the list.  However, this
> means that only subscribers can post to the list, and I have several
> subscribers who receive their email through distribution lists.  This means
> that they not be signed up under their own email address.  Is there a way
> for them to post to the list besides temporarily subscribing to the list in
> order to post, or forwarding the message to the listowner (or another sub-
> scriber) to post?  Can they post through their distribution list?
> Thanks!   Cherrie Noble

I have been considering changing my list to send=private, too, but have
not done so yet for the same reason.  However, I think what I will likely
do is to require those who really want to post to the list (usually only a
small percentage of the total subscribership) to subscribe to the list.
To avoid receiving duplicate postings from the list (one from the list
itself and another from their local distribution list), they can set their
subscription to NOMAIL.  It's a little more hassle, but it seems a small
concession in our efforts to fight spamming.

-David L. Merrifield             E-mail: [log in to unmask]
 University of Arkansas                  [log in to unmask]
 SAG-L List Owner