Peacenet Balkans Desk <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:41:41 -0500
At 09:23 AM 3/9/99 +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:
>>IMHO there
>> should be provision for inserting some sort of separate "new mail" flag. - ed
>
>Not that I want to argue with you, but surely that's not the point of the
>web interface?

I don't take it as argumentative... But help me understand: What *is* the
point of the web interface, if not to allow surfers to conveniently keep up
with the conversation of the list?

>The question I have for you is why aren't you using the same sort of feature
>provided by your mail client?

I don't quite understand what you mean... I *do* read the list in email,
but, as owner, I'm encouraging subscribers to use either the web interface
or email, as is convenient. Are you saying that I should rather encourage
subscribers to participate *only* by email?

>The web interface, AFAICS, isn't meant as a
>replacement for mail - after all, there are other 'web-based' discussion
>group solutions out there...

Um, I thought LISTSERV was meant to be one those. It seems to me that in the
internet's current web environment a discussion list would be most effective
if the web interface /mailing list modes were as much as possible
interchangeable. Am I laboring under a misapprehension? - ed