Bill Salmon <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 7 Jun 2003 05:57:05 -0700
"Should the type be set to full auto, semi auto or
manual and what do these really mean?"

i only use full auto in fully hostile environtments. I
prefer the 3 shot alternative, or semi-auto for urban
environments, and manual for sniper situations...

oh wait... this isn't nra_l...

my bad...

lol...

sorry...

in actual response, if your subscribers use the free
yahoo service, they will get 4 meg of space.. at no
cost... this is a lot of space... probably more then
they currently have at their assigned mailbox...

it also allows them to seperate their
business/personal email from the list email without
having to set up folders, and clear list messages to
protect their business/personal correspondence from
overfull mailbox errors.

an additonal advantage from the listowner
perspective... if they use an "out of office"
auto-responder when they are away, it will not
generate a bunch of bounces/autoresponses to the list.

you might also consider what we do at our list.
migrate those individuals who have limited mailboxes
(or time to read the list, lack of patience for ) to
the web archive... point out the advantages... (NO
mail to their mailbox... ability to pick and choose
subjects/posters... archival/search functions for
research etc...)

this strategy is my preference, although the yahoo
etc. option is a close second... and if they do not
have internet access, but only email....

I would NOT recommend using hotmail as an alter email
ego. too many problems.

we, as listowners, often become frustrated by our
members lack of understanding of how the list works...
and in consequence, attempt to over compensate.

keep it simple, give them viable, useful
alternatives.. point out the advantages of the real
flexability of membership. the easier you make it for
them, the easier you will make it for yourself.

the classic win/win situation.

your list will run smoother,

bill