Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:32:27 +0200
On Mon, 19 Jun 1995  14:28:31 +0000 Marianne Brosseau <[log in to unmask]>
said:

>"Otherwise if you extracted one message from the digest in good faith it
>would not have the copyright, and what  if you then resent it, who would
>be to blame,"

If I receive  a big digest that comes  with one banner at the  top of the
digest  (but  not at  the  top  of  each  individual message)  that  says
"Copyright  1995  Foo  Inc.  Redistributed with  permission.  All  rights
reserved worldwide"  and I have  a mail  program that happily  bursts the
digest into  individual messages, I  can then view them  individually and
not see the copyright. I can honestly forget about the copyright that was
in the header 30 messages above the  one I am reading. I can then forward
this to  a friend  for his private  amusement, and unless  I tell  him he
won't have  a clue that this  is copyrighted material. He  may repost the
material in good  faith. And who gets sued? Not  the friend, who couldn't
know, and  probably not me,  at least not unless  I have enough  money to
make the case interesting to  the lawyer. The Internet consulting company
who did the repost and runs the list gets sued, because they did not take
"reasonable steps" to  ensure it was clear to everyone  that the material
was owned  by Foo Inc, and  because there is probably  a contract between
them  and Foo  Inc.  saying under  what conditions  they  can repost  the
material, and  a missing  comma in  page 21 that  after a  $100,000 legal
battle will establish that they screwed up. That is the kind of situation
you want to avoid.

>      It is true that it can  be *useful* to include a copyright notice,
>but as indicated in Templeton's article..." it is not necessary. "

It is not  necessary to include a  copyright in order for the  work to be
protected. However, your work is better protected if it bears an explicit
copyright. This is  particularly important when the work  you are posting
is not copyrighted by you, but by a third party, especially if it's a big
corporation.  And  this   is  even  more  important  when   the  work  is
confidential. If  you get a message  from me describing the  internals of
some  cutting  edge  industrial  process,  you  may  assume  that  it  is
copyrighted and ask  me whether it can  be reposted. Or you  may not know
anything about the technology in question  and think it is a common bread
toaster, and send  it to a friend who  works in that field to  ask him to
explain what this all means. But if it starts with:

                        Copyright 1995 IBM Corp.

I'll bet  you'll think twice before  forwarding it to someone  working at
DEC who  knows that stuff  and can  explain it to  you. Of course  in the
academic world we  hardly ever run into this kind  of situation. But some
companies use LISTSERV  for internal product design  and development. The
material they post to the list  is confidential and owned by the company.
They want to make this clear with  each and every message, and we have to
provide the necessary tools.

  Eric