Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:28:48 -0800
About his Locked list, Larry asked:

> Questions:
> 1) I didn't lock the list--how could it have been locked?
>
> 2) What is the command to send to unlock it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Larry C.
> Texas A&M

 If you (or co-onwers) issue a GET LISTNAME, LISTSERV will lock the list
until it is put back to avoid an owner overiding somelse's update.

Then if the PUT fails (typos in password, mailer doing line wrap with
user option strings, e-mail woes, etc ...). The list will stay locked

That's why the experienced user always recommended I use:
GET LISTNAME (NOLock
or better
GET LISTNAME (HDR NOL
since I don't usually temper with the sub list itself but mainly
maintain the header.

If however the list is HELD then the command is FREE LISTNAME
That happens either when you go over the daily trehsold, issue the
HOLD LISTNAME command or if there is a technical problem at the server
site (such as "out of room" for the log files)...

HTH,

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L