"George D. Greenwade" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 9 Apr 1992 09:35:30 CDT
On Thu, 9 Apr 1992 05:34:42 CDT, Natalie Maynor <[log in to unmask]>
posted to LSTOWN-L regardng how to handle binary files:
> Why not just put the files in ftp space (i.e., have permissions set for the
> listowner to 'put' to a certain directory in anonymous ftp space)? My list
> has all files available via ftp.  In the index I specifiy binary files with
> an asterisk.  So far, nobody has seemed to have any problem with it.
> Including binary files is fun.  In addition to being able to get programs
> of various kinds (freeware or shareware, of course), people can get
> pictures of the list subscribers who have sent them as gifs.

The real problem is how to handle those who wish to retrieve your marked
binary files, but do not have the convenience of ftp available to them.
Unless I've missed something very big somewhere (a distinct possibility),
default BITNET sites are only required to run RSCS or some form of RSCS
emulation (i.e., Jnet for those of us on VMS).  From my perspective (we run
a mail-only file server since LISTSERV, per se, is not on VMS), it is
possible to have the UUEncoded format for mail users and the direct binary
for ftp users (I even face an interesting file naming situation, but that
is beyond the scope of this list and its discussion), but there are only so
many gig one can get access to  or justify the existence of for remote
users.

If you want to handle both mail and ftp, UUEncoding, while larger than the
direct binary, is the way to go.  However, it is also nice to have some
sources for UUDecoding available for those users who are unfortunate enough
not to have wide access to it so they can create their own UUDecoding
executable, if necessary.  Thus, in addition to the UUE files, I would also
suggest a FILETOOL (or similarly named) package of source utilities also
available for your users, possibly even including various platforms (or
have good information available where it is alternately available from).

Regards,   George
George D. Greenwade, Ph.D.                            Bitnet:  BED_GDG@SHSU
Department of Economics and Business Analysis         THEnet: SHSU::BED_GDG
College of Business Administration                    Voice: (409) 294-1266
P. O. Box 2118                                        FAX:   (409) 294-3612
Sam Houston State University              Internet:        [log in to unmask]
Huntsville, TX 77341                      [log in to unmask]