Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 27 Aug 1996 19:56:17 +0200
I actually  had to do some  serious lobbying work  to get both L  and XXL
included. The original  proposal called for XL only, which  I was assured
is the norm  for shirt giveaways (and  indeed I got a free  shirt for the
opening of  a movie, and  they only  had XL, so  the shirt is  now safely
stashed in a closet). The problem  is purely logistical. It's easy enough
to add an option  to the order form, and as long as  you order a dozen or
so the shirt company doesn't mind. But then people have to put the shirts
in boxes and  mail them, and with  3 sizes and 5  different designs we've
already got 15 input bins to choose  from, which is about the amount that
you can organize  around a table to work effectively.  If we'd included M
and XXXL we would have had 25 bins (and  let me add that my size is M, so
I'm one of the victims).

Anyway I'm glad that we offered multiple sizes and colours because people
have  been ordering  large amounts  of the  options that  were originally
going to be excluded.  At one point we actually had as many  L as XL, and
40% of  the orders are for  non-white shirts. To a  certain extent, since
the shirts  are free  people might  still be happy  with less  options to
choose from, but we want people  to actually wear these shirts, not store
them in a  closet, and we're also  going to use the same  options to make
sweat and golf shirts that people will be able to buy.

  Eric