"John M. Roraback, Ph.D." <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Jun 1996 07:10:39 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-22 18:03:48 EDT, Bruce Bachus writes:

>  I've read several of the comments with great interest.  I opine that
>  we should have the option of prepending text to the subject line.
>  Granted, a lot of mailers can handle the subject/sender/etc parsing
>  and place the mail in appropriate mailboxes.  Unfortunately, not all
>  mailers are of the same robustness.  For the lists I own/manage, I try
>  to target the lowest common denominator wrt user capabilities (eg
>  user knowledge and mail s/w at the user end).

I operate four lists currently and I agree with Bruce's opinion that it is
useful to target the lowest common denominator. With 7 million folks now
using AOL (which doesn't have a very sophisticated mailer) it would help to
have a subject line prepend. Although at first glance this may seem
nonsensical, all the subscribers to the four lists I operate are are on all
four list rosters (there is a purpose in this arrangement), and it would help
for them to be able to identify from which list a message is being sent. and
i think that many of them, even if they have sorting capacities as part of
their mail program, may not have the sophistication to use the feature.

John Roraback  -  [log in to unmask]