Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 May 1994 20:16:11 +0200
On  Mon, 23  May 1994  14:14:00  EDT "Peter  M.  Weiss +1  814 863  1843"
<[log in to unmask]> said:

>I note that  some LISTSERV sites are BACKBONE but  not DISTRIBUTE in the
>LISTSERV PEERS  db. Having searched  the lstown-l notebook  archives for
>these  two  terms  by  sender=ERIC,  I'm not  really  sure  what  the  4
>combinations of attributes mean.

Actually,  there are  only 3  possible combinations:  backbone=NO implies
DISTRIBUTE=NO. But there are other options, such as LISTS or UDD. You can
view backbone=YES as  an "entry ticket" giving you access  to a number of
additional  services,  but at  an  extra  cost  in resources  and  uptime
commitment  (which is  no longer  a  big deal,  but in  1986 things  were
different). A  backbone server receives, among  other things, information
about all  the lists in the  network. By default, a  backbone server also
participates in  DISTRIBUTE deliveries, but  this can be turned  off with
DISTRIBUTE=NO.

  Eric