Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 May 2000 09:51:57 -0400
On 19 May 00, at 1:34, Winship wrote:

> I've noticed the fuctionality blurb about ~2k subscribers.  This is a list
> with generally 2.2k to 2.4k subscribers, traffic on weekdays 10 - 20
> items, 2 - 4 per day on weekends.  Would the passive probe present much of
> a performance decrease at a site running a Unix high performance package
> (Buffalo)?

Regarding the performance hit in general, you can decrease that by
specifying a higher number in the Probe() parameter. For example,
if you set it to 20, then only 1/20 of the membership will get probed
each day. The higher the number, the fewer probes go out on a
given day and the longer a bad address will stay on the list. Even
with 10, it's doubtful that 220 to 240 extra emails per day would be
much of a problem (if it is, you have a problem anyway).

Regarding Unix in particular, you need to check with your site
administrator whether using probes is even an option. Probes are
turned off by default on Unix because sendmail "out of the box"
does not support the probe format. There are some sendmail
patches available to support probes for 8.8.4, 8.9.1, and 8.10.
These are user contributed patches, i.e., not supported by L-Soft.
ftp://ftp.lsoft.com/LISTSERV/UNIX/CONTRIB/

Francoise