Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:03:45 -0600
On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Ginny Fiero, Systems Programmer, NYS Education Dept. wrote:
> If a list is moderated using editors, and the header specifies default-options
> = repro, wouldn't you expect the editor (who  is also a member of the list) to
> get a copy  of the post? I would  and do expect that, however the  editor of a
> list here isn't getting a copy, only an acknowledgement that the post was sent
> to x number of subscribers. Are those two options not exclusive of each other?
> Can't the editor get a copy of the post AND an acknowledgement?

This is probably going to depend on how your person's mail system works.
LISTSERV looks for particular fields in the message header and what it
does depends on what it finds.  If your editor's mail system doesn't use
the fields LISTSERV expects, the behaviour may be other than you want.

For example, as editor for the seni-moderated list AUTOCAT I use the Elm
"bounce" feature to resend the items to the list and 99.9 percent of
over 3,000 subscribers never know the items came to me first.  However,
because Elm doesn't put in the field that LISTSERV is looking for, I
do not get an ack nor a copy of the distributed message, but it does
work.  I just do it on blind faith that if *I* do everything correctly
LISTSERV will do its part.  Hasn't failed yet.  Bit irritating, though,
when I lose my place and can't recall whether I've sent on a particular
item or not, but I've developed a routine procedure which works well if
I stick to it.

Eric set up a test list for me to check this stuff, it has to do with the
Sender: , Resent-by:  etc. fields and how forwards are handled by particular
mailers.  If your editor can get the stuff properly posted, don't worry
about it.  If he wants to see the stuff when it's distributed, tell him to
get another subscription with a different address.  I did that for a while,
but gave it up as too much trouble and just do it on faith now.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L