Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 15:04:04 -0400
On Sat, 10 Aug 1996, Murph Sewall wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:26:59 -0400 Joan Korenman wrote:
> >        I received a request this morning from a professor in Canada
> >asking whether she can include messages from my list in a packet of
> >materials that her students will buy.

> Suppose instead, the students buy a single sheet with detailed instructions
> of how to retrieve the desired messages from the logfiles.  Other than the
> redundant use of bandwidth, what's different?  Some third party doesn't get
> to make a (probably modest) profit and instead we all share the cost of the
> multiple bandwidth utilization (does this make sense)?  What else?

        I appreciate the suggestion, but I see several problems with it.
One is that it's not at all clear that all the students have e-mail
accounts.  A second is that I'd rather add a few pennies to kinko's profits
than add needlessly to the mail volume on the students' e-mail system
and the system housing the logfiles.  And third, only subscribers can
access the logfiles.  I'd prefer not to have the students subbing and
unsubbing just to access the logs.  Their doing so is almost sure to
wind up creating more work for me.

        Many thanks to Murph, Douglas, Mario, Philo, and everyone else
who contributed their insights and suggestions.  I've heard again
from the Canadian professor, who I think has decided to reproduce the
logfiles but mask the identity of the message writers.  Since what she
wants the students to see is the way arguments are advanced and evidence
is used rather than a single individual's contribution, I think her solution
makes sense.  It's not perfect, but neither is any other, including
trying to write for permission to thirty or so individuals whose e-mail
addresses may well have changed.

        Again, many thanks.

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                [log in to unmask]                         *
*    U. of Md. Baltimore County                                             *
*    Baltimore, MD 21228-5398     http://www-unix.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/  *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *