Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:52:17 MST
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996 15:11:11 -0400 Joan Korenman said:
>        This may happen if someone sends an INFO request, but if
>someone sends a REVIEW [listname] SHORT request (and perhaps even a
>REVIEW [listname] for a list where Review=Owner?), Listserv will
>return the header, complete with all the sensitive Filter information
>that Ingrid was hoping to keep private.  I've frankly never
>understoood why that info (the filter addresses) was part of the
>header--that does NOT seem to be information the world at large should
>be able to access.

   I've no argument with what is happening.  What I do NOT understand is
why it is a problem?  Why do you CARE that it shows who is filtered?  What
is the downside of that information being available?  Are people worried
that those who are filtered will shoot them or something?  In my experience
almost all of the things filtered (on my lists or others) are simply spam
havens, and I've yet to hear from one of them that their constitutional rights
are being violated, or whatever.  If there is an individual abuser I'll just
serve him/her off anyway.

>        By the way, I might note that I've started to receive duplicate
>copies of messages from this list.  Just today.

   Not really duplicates, but resent bounces from a listmember (thus not
being caught as dupes)

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979