Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 11:19:18 -0700
All of these issues have of course been discussed before.  But let me add
what may be a slight variation, and what works for me on a dozen lists,
with topics ranging from a religious denomination, a hobby, several
professional (libraries and technology) lists, and a wide open
anyone-can-say-anything list with no limits on max postings per day (it has
gone over 500 per day).

First, the listowner is the listowner.  S/he sets the rules.  Period.

Second, if you want to have democratic processes, let the members offer
opinions, fine, it is your funeral.  I'll listen to listmembers'
suggestions, but have almost NEVER changed any rules or guidelines.  Each
list has its own guidelines, and they vary quite a bit.  But they are MY
guidelines, and anyone who doesn't like them can leave or follow them.
Their choice.  One warning.  Period.  End of story.  I don't mess with
REVIEW (except for postings from nonmembers), though I know many find it a
useful tool.

Third, be sure to use confirmation (or more if you wish) on subs, which
will keep you free of the vast majority of spammers.  The REVIEW of
newsgroup and nonmember postings will do most of the rest.  LISTSERV will
do the rest.

Fourth, as has been pointed out, "the only freedom of speech is that of the
person who owns the printing press (or LISTSERV)".  The analogy to rules in
your home is excellent.  One of the first things that children need to
learn is differential behavior (i.e. you behave differently at home from a
friends house and from church and from school and so forth).  Unfortunately
all too many people still don't learn those things, or else they think
there are no rules on the net.  Always have been, always will be.

Fifth, in your welcome, and as necessary, remind them that ALL postings are
copyrighted at the moment of creation, even before they get sent to the
listserv and distributed.  Honest and honorable folks always respect
copyright.  Crooks don't.  Yes, they're about as likely to get busted for
it as they are for occasionally smoking a joint in the privacy of their own
home, but it CAN happen, and has.  Once educated, most will happily comply
with the law.

Sixth, remember YOU ARE THE BOSS.  Period.  Absolute dictatorship, and any
powers you give to others are given at your own peril.

cyclops, who takes a fairly hardass stance....because it is much easier to
change FROM it than TO it.

Dan Lester
In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.  Erasmus, 1534