"James A. Schaefer" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Apr 1995 17:21:13 -0400
I have a relatively small list of 900 subscribers, Travel-L, which has
"confirm" on the subscription (recently added), and I found it wonderful
in screening out malformed addresses before they made it into my
subscriber base.  When I see a confirmation sent to the list, I send off
a note to the almost-subscriber, telling them how to save themselves if
they really want to join Travel-L.  If the confirm message from the
listserv comes to me instead as an error, I don't bother tracking down the
near-subscriber; their address isn't any good anyway.

The other change which I have enjoyed immensely is to change the renewal
option to 4-monthly.  Suspecting many of my subscribers are going to school
or teach in one, I wanted to "sweep" the list roughly every semester and it
is working fine.  The current list members were asked twice about the change
before it was made, and there were no objections, but support for my
rationale.

|  James A. Schaefer, Assoc. Prof | Internet:  [log in to unmask] |
|  Math & Computer Science Dept   |                                   |
|  Rhode Island College           | Phone:  401 456-9758  / 456-8038  |
|  Providence, RI 02908-1991      | FAX:    401-456-8379              |
|           List Manager of Travel-L @ VM.ege.edu.tr                  |