Sat, 9 Jan 1999 02:31:20 -0600
Tsk, Nathan, ya really shoulda spotted that Received: field also, which
someone else mentioned.  I was going to mention it if no one else did.

I don't consider that "forged" email, but "spoofed" email.  That is,
it will fool a lot of people but all the traces are there for those
who look.

Truely forged mail means you cannot find anything whatsoever indicating
that it originated elsewhere than where it purports.  Those who have
been around for a while may recall that shortly after LSTOWN-L moved
from its original site in Indiana to SEARN we had a dustup about this
and several people sent items which even Eric could not trace (Natalie
Maynor was one, as I recall).  The guy who claimed he couldn't be
fooled quit the list in a snit.

Those are forgeries, the others, like that from Amy, are spoofs, easy to
detect and trace.  I used to know how to do an untraceable forgery by
taping into the port I wanted to use, but it has been a long time and I
don't know what sort of security precautions they have these days, so I
ain't going to try it.

Spoofing is easy and always has been, with the right mail system
(unix ELM anyone?).  True forgery is something else.

Douglas