Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 19 Mar 1997 05:53:29 GMT
On Sat, 15 Mar 1997 20:57:43 -0700, "J. Carter Marsden"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I have a "subscriber" to whom all mail "bounces" because " ... is not a
>known user". I have signed this user off three times and the mail
>continues to bounce.

the deletion will not affect mail already sent out.  You can get bounces
for 3-4 days after the delete.  There is nothing to be done, if you are
sure you have deleted the user already.  Simply delete the error msgs and
they will eventually stop.

If they persist, then you have to look for an address that is nearly the
same.  Likely the 'bad' user was forwarding his mail to another account,
which is the one actually 'bouncing' and the bounces are being improperly
handled by his mailhost and being sent back to your LISTSERV host which
properly sends them back to you for action.  These can be tough to track
down.  Don't hesitate to test by setting certain likely addresses to
NOMAIL and then back to see if the bounces stop.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]