Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:13:55 -0300
I like Randy's policy:

> The messages of some lists are archived for reference
> purposes. These archives will not be altered in any way by
> LISTSERV Administrator. Requests to make an exception to this
> policy will be considered, but granted only when it can be
> compellingly demonstrated that harm to the University,
> Institute, Project, or members thereof will be avoided by
> doing so. Any decisions regarding modification of the
> archives is at the sole discretion of the LISTSERV
> Administrator.

But I know that my subscribers aren't likely to read it. I tell
people who want the record changed that in fact, even when harm
can be compelling demonstrated it really can't be done, because
even if I were to go through the hassle of editing the archive
the message is (as a couple of people have pointed out) still
out there -- and I think can be found on the wayback machine,
whatever happens to the archive.

I also say that I'm not going to institute the precedent of
altering the past on demand: I can't imagine where that would
end.

-- Russ

St. Thomas University
http://www.StThomasU.ca/~hunt/