Phil Schwarz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 21 May 1996 00:18:43 -0400
Ballew Kinnaman wrote:

> I have a set of letter templates that go with rejected letters back to the
> original sender -- for personal replies, =20 and base64 ugliness, excessive
> quoting, all the usual suspects.

That brings up a good question: what exactly is it that causes =20 ugliness
and base64 ugliness in particular?  Is there anything in a list's header
configuration, or in the way a Listserv server is configured, that can eliminate
or mitigate those things?

I use Microsoft Exchange as my personal mailer (hey, it came for free with my
Win95...), and I know that a trailing blank on a line will cause an =20 on some,
but not all, Listserv servers.  And some, but not all, Listserv servers send
posts with some combination of content or header fields that causes MS Exchange
to conclude that the originator was an MS rich-text aware mailer -- not a
Listserv on some mainframe someplace! -- and that causes it to insert rich-text
formatting codes as base64 ugliness.  Any idea what it could be that triggers
that behavior?  Are there Listserv configuration settings that can mitigate or
work around that proclivity on MS Exchange's part?  There are a truly scary
number of copies of Win95 and MS Exchange out there in use... and more every
day.

TIA,
Phil Schwarz
co-list-owner, ASPERGER@SJUVM (in beta)