Aldo-Pier Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 18:24:52 GMT
I would thank any Senior List Owners for advicing me on the issues
herein specified (approx. 50 lines).

I run FISH-ECOLOGY at SEARN/SUNET. The list was started for around
44 days ago. There are 534 subscribers from 30 countries, all
academic and research personnel engaged in fish and Fisheries
ecological research. The worlds most important research institutes
within the field are represented on the list. Also, there is
personnel from several international and government institutions.

The sources which are represented are highly valuable and things
_must_ work. There is also SUNET, backing up the project with
machines, manpower and lots of know-how.

Fish-Ecology is managed from SEARN (systems operations) and the
University of Las Palmas (administrativia, moderation). This implies
that traffic from our server in Stockholm is routed through several
nodes some of which are often down. This is the case of a node
called the ESGBOX at UB.ES.

Since FISH-ECOLOGY started there have been 2 crashes (10 days out of
function or 22% of time since start) at the ESGBOX. This implied (a)
Lost production traffic to .ES ; (b) Messages bouncing all over the
world; (c) No possibility to effectively manage the list and
(c) Loosing average and _very_ important subscribers.

Also, when the ESGBOX is working there are mean delays of 20 (twenty)
hours. I have been forced to retrieve traffic from the list via our
Gopher service.

Although I _begged_ several times the personnel at the UB.ES to inform
me on what was going on they never replied to me. Furthermore, it
seems the Spanish EARN does definitely not desire to change the
routing to working nodes with acceptable standards. It looks there is
a Catch 22 to production traffic to .ES because of the ESGBOX and
Spanish EARNs attitudes.

Any advice shall be most welcome.
Thank you.

Aldo-Pier Solari.