Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Charles Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:39:09 -0500
text/plain (43 lines)
Bill,

i believe that this is not because "Query" is so smart, but that the LSoft people haven't gotten around to entirely fixing the ambiguities that resulted from the previously existing dual function of the "MAIL" setting. Some years ago, MAIL not only designated that a subscriber received individual messages, but was also a means for either DIGEST or MAIL subscribers to turn off message delivery.

The term now used on a subscriber's subscription management webpage for receiving messages individually is no longer indicated as MAIL, but as NODIGEST. But when one does these email queries:

Query listname WITH NODIGEST FOR *@* - only individual message subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL are listed, but in the results, the term MAIL is used for these subscribers, rather than NODIGEST

Query listname WITH DIGEST FOR *@* - only digest subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL are listed.

Query listname WITH NOMAIL FOR *@* -  individual message subscribers who are set to NOMAIL are listed on a single line as NOMAIL, while digest subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL have their settings listed on two lines, one indicating DIGEST, and the other NOMAIL.

Now that's not confusing, is it?   :-)

Charles Clausen

On Sat, 28 Nov 2015 17:03:10 +0000, Bill Kristy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm overwhelmed, touched, and very thankful for all of the priceless, thoughtful replies!
>
>I've noticed something confusing. The list has 338 subscribers, and querying
>
>Query listname WITH DIGEST FOR *@*
>Query listname WITH NODIGEST FOR *@*
>
>yields 54 and 188 respectively. So I ran
>
>Query listname WITH NOMAIL FOR *@*
>which yields 96.
>
>And 54 + 188 + 96 does = 338, so why am I confused?
>
>Because I see Subscribers with ***OPT*** = BOTH DIGEST and NOMAIL. What's the deal: Is Query smart enough to prioritize NOMAIL and supress the others when both are present?
>
>Bill

############################

To unsubscribe from the LSTOWN-L list:
write to: mailto:[log in to unmask]
or click the following link:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-PEACH.exe?SUBED1=LSTOWN-L&A=1

ATOM RSS1 RSS2