Charles Clausen <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 30 Nov 2015 18:39:09 -0500
Bill,

i believe that this is not because "Query" is so smart, but that the LSoft people haven't gotten around to entirely fixing the ambiguities that resulted from the previously existing dual function of the "MAIL" setting. Some years ago, MAIL not only designated that a subscriber received individual messages, but was also a means for either DIGEST or MAIL subscribers to turn off message delivery.

The term now used on a subscriber's subscription management webpage for receiving messages individually is no longer indicated as MAIL, but as NODIGEST. But when one does these email queries:

Query listname WITH NODIGEST FOR *@* - only individual message subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL are listed, but in the results, the term MAIL is used for these subscribers, rather than NODIGEST

Query listname WITH DIGEST FOR *@* - only digest subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL are listed.

Query listname WITH NOMAIL FOR *@* -  individual message subscribers who are set to NOMAIL are listed on a single line as NOMAIL, while digest subscribers who are not set to NOMAIL have their settings listed on two lines, one indicating DIGEST, and the other NOMAIL.

Now that's not confusing, is it?   :-)

Charles Clausen