Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:27:27 -0500
One thing more.  This entire process of resubmission of messages on
behalf of a subscriber works only for lists defined as "Send= Editor"
(or any of its variants, such as "Send= Editor,Hold).

If "Send= Private" is defined for the list, and you use "Resent-"
headers, Listserv will post the message as coming from you and not the
original sender.

This means that if a subscriber is set to review on a list defined as
"Send= Private" and you want to edit the post before forwarding it to
the list, you're outta luck.

The only good part of this is that I expect such situations would be
quite rare.  I would be *extremely* reluctant to edit a message sent
from someone I had placed on review for violating list guidelines,
rather than simply approving or rejecting it.  However, what I was
trying to do here was to add some list-specific stuff to a generalized
message that was being sent to a number of related lists, and which
had a sender address that had been specifically subbed to the list and
set to Review for this purpose.  As it turned out, I couldn't even get
Listserv to accept the forwarded message from me (which brings me to
the following paragraphs) and when it became clear that even if I
straightened that mess out the post would carry my name and not the
original sender's, I gave up and took that subscriber address off
Review.  I was not a happy camper.

Next:

If "Send= Editor" is defined for the list, Listserv will accept a post
from an address which is defined neither as a listowner nor as a
subscriber but which *is* defined as an editor.  This conforms with
the Listserv documentation.

If "Send= Private" is defined for the list, Listserv will accept a
post from an address which is not subscribed but is defined as a
listowner address.  This makes sense.

If "Send= Private" is defined for the list, Listserv will *not* accept
a post from an address which is defined neither as listowner nor as
subscriber but which *is* defined as an editor.  The "Editor= " lines
are checked for syntax, but it's as if they are not actually processed
at all.  (I stumbled into this because Pine's "bounce" function
insists on using the actual Unix system domain name [in my case,
"falcon.cc.ukans.edu"] instead of the shortened alias ["ukans.edu"] in
the "Resent-From:" header of the bounce.  I had added
"[log in to unmask]" as an editor, but not as a listowner.
This experience was on the 1.8d beta a little over a year ago.)

It appears that L-Soft set up the "Editor= ", "Moderator= ",
and "Resent-" headers mechanism to be supported only for lists defined
as "Send= Editor", back when the "REVIEW" subscription setting was not
available, and has never done anything to change that.

Below is the message I sent to the sender of the messages I was
trying to edit, back when I went through all this.

I've changed the names of the lists because they are not meant to be
exposed to the world-at-large.

Dennis

>In the message of Dennis Budd:
>>
>> Well it didn't work.  And it should have.
>>

>Would you like me to just repost it only to List1?

Repost your first two currents messages to List1, so I'll have
approval confirmations I can use.  The third one already has an
approval confirmation I can use.

It appears that the "Editor=" parameter and the whole "Resent-headers"
forwarding process is designed to work only with lists defined as
"Send=Editor".  I can post as a non-subbed editor in List2, which
is defined with that parameter, but not in List1, which is defined
"Send=Private".

I guess you learn something new every day.  Thanks, Sylvia.

Dennis