Barry Wolman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:31:50 GMT--400
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Nov 1996, Barry Wolman wrote:
> > need to be and results in wasted space in our archives.  Is it possible
> > configure LISTSERV to reject messages where the original content in the
> > message is not N percent of the quoted text?  I think the original
content
> > should be at least as large as the quoted text.
>
> There isn't a way to do that of which I am aware, though I have
encountered
> a gateway system at a university which bounces back to the Errors=
> address anything with excessive quoting.  Unfortunately, these days
> that's just about everything.

LSOFT - Please consider this a request for an original content ratio
feature in a future release of LISTSERV.  I suspect many other list owners
would make use of it, too.

> You can try to educate your subscribers, and maybe it will take for a
> little while, but they will soon be back to quoting all of each message,
> complete with enormous sig., every time they hit their handy "reply"
> buttons.

I periodically send guidelines to the list as a whole and send the worst
offenders private mail, but it only takes a day or two before they're back
to quoting full replies.

> Hmm, an "operator's license" required before "reply " can be used? ;-)

Yes, and I get to collect fines :-)

Barry Wolman
Pittsburgh, PA