Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 2 Aug 1994 15:59:52 -0500
Jae Walker <[log in to unmask]> has been having trouble moving a
list to a new LISTSERVer.  He said:

> I'm working on getting back the ability to send/receive net.data
> files, but at this point I can't do that so I can't just GET the list
> membership from Site A and PUT it to Site B.
>
> This looked so simple when I first analyzed it... *sigh*
>
> Additional help gratefully accepted...

I've hesitated to suggest this approach because it seemed that
MOVE or EXPLODE ought to do it more easily, but this is what I
would do:

1) Obtain the subscriber list with either GET or REVIEW.  REVIEW
is better for this method because it does not have the stuff at
the end of the line--but you will have to take care of concealed
subscribers separately.

2) Edit the subscriber list.  Use the global replace command to
replace <end-of-line> with <end-of-line>QUIET ADD ARCANA

3) Send the file of ADD commands to the LISTSERV for the new
list.

I know this may not be as easy as it sounds.  Many editors will
not do a global replace on the <end-of-line> character.  I once
got around this limitation by "quoting" the message so that each
line began with "> ".  Then I replaced the > with the LISTSERV
comand.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>