Thu, 14 Nov 1996 02:07:31 -0600
> >WHY! couldn't the message be delivered? Full mailbox? User unknown?
> >Fatal error in opening the mail files? Could you give me a clue, please?
>
> Okay, what *is* the fatal error which occurs?  Can anyone explain it?

I did warn you to delete, didn't I?  ;-)

Fatal error in opening mail file could be any of a number of things. The
individual's mailbox could be full, or could have exceeded total allowed
disk space (depends on the system and how it is set up).

Could be the space allowed for email for the entire system has been
exceeded and everything further is rejected.

Could be they rebuilt the system and someone got the path to the mail
system, or an individual's account, wrong.

Could be...

But, at least when one gets an error message saying there was a fatal
error in the mail system one has a clue to the solution of the problem, as
there is usually some indication as to where the problem lies.  If the
error message says only "Your mail was not/could not be delivered to John
Doe." and says absolutely nothing else one has nothing to work with, which
is what I was griping about.

And no, I've never been cured of asking "why."  As long as I can't
find satisfactory answers I continue asking it.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L