Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Aug 2005 10:54:14 -0400
(I suspect LSTOWN-L filters the real domain name below ... apologies if
this gets posted twice!   wts)

DROP SPAM dot COM is one of those programs (malware, imho), that
attempts to reduce spam by catching incoming mail before the reader sees
it and looks at the "From:" line.  If it "doesn't know" the address, it
contacts DROP SPAM dot COM to send out e-mail asking for a click to its web
site in order to "verify" the address.

Obviously this is in bad taste for a mailing list subscriber.  However,
the story gets worse.  The e-mail DROP SPAM dot COM sends to the posting
author has no hint of the recipient address, as it contains only the
mailing list address (from the "To:" line).

At least with a typical "vacation" program, we usually know the
subscriber and know the effect is transient.

What to do?!?  (I'm NOT going to suggest posters click to the
DROP SPAM dot COM website!).

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith    LISTSERV Technical Coordinator -- UNET
[log in to unmask]     University of Maine System   http://lists.Maine.edu/