Thu, 8 Sep 1994 19:51:19 -0500
We got this today.  My comments/questions follow the item.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 1994 12:01:04 -0400
From: Sharpe1111 <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list AUTOCAT <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: LIGHTSWITCH plate

If you are interested in getting your favorite photo or magazine photo (or
anything else you can possibly think of) on a lightswitch plate please
contact me: [log in to unmask]

Can also find photo subjects.

Give as gift
Photo ideas:  pet - auto - motorcycle - sport star - movie star - loved
one -
comic - sportscard - computer pictures - etc.

ALL PHOTOS ETC. RETURNED UNHARMED.

Now, we have in our header Send= Editor and
Editor= [log in to unmask],(AUTOCAT) so in theory no one who is not
subscribed can post to the list without going through me.  This person
is not subscribed at present.  I have all the notifications of signons/offs
going back to Aug. 31 and this address is not there, though there is a
[log in to unmask] of which I'm suspicious.

I did not receive this item as editor, it was posted directly.

To me, that indicates that probably this person forged a Sender: field
or something of the sort so it would appear to have come from me,
or anyone else with a subscription for that matter.

Or, there is someone out there who knows how to do this and is selling
a forgery service to those who want to advertise on our lists despite
our attempts to prevent such activity.

Or, someone who is subscribed forged the From: field and his system
put in the Sender: field, so it was posted.

Do these seem valid inferences?  Am I missing another way this could
have gotten onto the list?

I'ld like some comments on this before I write to AOL about misuse of
their system.  Any comments, ideas welcome.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner