Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 11:14:35 -0400
On Fri, 13 Sep 1996, Peter Rauch wrote:

> > Date:         Fri, 13 Sep 1996 08:07:46 -0400
> > From: "J. Paul Sheridan, III" <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > I've got this very inane thread going on in one of my lists.  What's the
> > politest way to shut it down?
>
> 1. Let it die of its own inaneness in its own good time, or

        The problem with this approach is that by the time the inane
        thread does die, your more focussed, serious subscribers have
        become so sick of it that some have unsubscribed.  Do you want
        your subscribers to have negative feelings about reading your
        list rather than feelings of enthusiasm?

> 2. Ask the major proponents to take it off-list until they arrive at some
>    conclusion that they can bring back to the list for others to reflect on,

        Assumes that the topic bears SOME relationship to the one that is
        the focus of your list, AND that the discussion is of the type
        for which a conclusion can be reached.  Often a thread that takes
        off for a life of its own is of the silly kind in which each
        participant tries to outdo the others in silliness.  There is no
        conclusion that can be reached.

>    or
> 3. Be surprised when it turns into something interesting.

        Even if I enjoy it doesn't mean that all or most subscribers do.

        My basic approach tends to follow Mario Rups' suggestion: a
        humorous "This has been fun but it is now time to call it to an
        end" sometimes with a final 24 hours grace period, sometimes to
        take effect immediately.

        If necessary I would follow it up by setting those who failed
        to observe my declaration of conclusion to REVIEW and/or NOPOST
        but it hasn't yet proved necessary to do so.  Setting the whole
        list to moderation seems overkill and the primary sufferer will
        be the listowner who has to then review all postings to the list.

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of Autocat