Joan Korenman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:26:59 -0400
        I received a request this morning from a professor in Canada
asking whether she can include messages from my list in a packet of
materials that her students will buy.  There was a discussion on the list
(probably extending over a week's time) a while ago that would be
very useful for her students to see, both for the information and
for the variety of opinions expressed, the way evidence was presented,
etc.

        Normally, I would say sure, go ahead, this seems to me to fall
under the spirit of "fair use" that we in higher education depend on.
However, since the discussion will be in a packet of materials that will
be SOLD, I'm not sure whether "fair use" applies.  I am fully sympathetic
with her university's asking students to buy the materials: few universities
can subsidize extensive xeroxing--that's not the issue.  The issue concerns
how copyright applies to limited educational use of a list's logfiles, and
whether selling the reproduced material changes things.  And also whether
her being in Canada changes things.

        Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

        Joan Korenman

*    Joan Korenman                [log in to unmask]                         *
*    U. of Md. Baltimore County                                             *
*    Baltimore, MD 21228-5398     http://www-unix.umbc.edu/~korenman/wmst/  *
*    The only person to have everything done by Friday was Robinson Crusoe  *