"Kevin J. Sinclair" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:22:08 -0700
Once in a while, we have a subscriber that would like to have a digest
subscription, but be able to UNdigest it - break it up to the
invidividual messages - for saving some, or replying to the sender and
preserving the subject line, etc.  There used to be an UNdigest program
for VM users, I believe.

I am on a list called WWWedu that recently started sending out its digest
as MIME *attachements*.  That seemed odd to me, but the messages are also
in the message body - so, you can still forward the digest and edit out
the parts you don't want to quote; or you can view the attachements,
which are the individual messages.

Now, what would be cool would be to have email capability on the
attachements - like to reply, or forward - which would make this in
effect an UNdigestifier.  That would be awesome!

But the attachements cannot be treated that way, at least in PINE.  You
can read them, or save them to a disk file.  And yes, I know you can then
read the file in to a new email message and edit headers and so forth,
but that is a lot of work each time.  If the attachemnts could be treated
as separate email messages, it would be a much more flexible treatment.
And it would make the digest even more useful.

Anyone have some thoughts on this?  Can listserv be setup, somehow, do
have each item in a digest come as a MIME attachement?  Are there any
problems with this approach?

Kevin

Kevin J. Sinclair, email [log in to unmask], USA Pacific timezone = -8 GMT