Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:15:24 -0500
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, M. A. Gilbert wrote:

I've no objection to such notices, do the same myself from time
to time, but couldn't help but be amused at this:

> Should you be concerned that you've missed something exciting, then
> you can check the log for most lists by sending the message,
>
>                 Get mylist log0107
>
> to [log in to unmask], to get, for example, the July log of mylist,
> and, log0108 for August, etc.

A monthly log indicates to me low traffic (and most lists are at
[log in to unmask]). I have two lists which are "academic" and the logs
are weekly rather than monthly, but even so only a fool or a masochist
(hmm, is that a description of listowners?) or the listowner, when he
*must* fix a problem in a log, would do this (wading through 200 - 455
(the later being the max for the larger list as threshold is 65 per day)
postings in one weekly log ain't my idea of fun). Also, for lists with
weekly logs each log ends with a letter (A,B,C,D,E)  to indicate the week
of the month (clearly, not all are full "weeks").  How daily logs are
handled I don't know as I've never messed with a list which has them, let
alone hourly.

If the list is low traffic the monthly log may suit, but even then the
user may prefer smaller blocks, unless traffic is really low, say a week.
This is easily done with a search for, say, a week of the list.  If you
have a monthly log you likely don't exceed 100 postings per week, so the
person could search a week at a time, which might be more manageable, say
a week in April:
s * in LISTNAME from 01/4/15 to 01/4/21

Of course, if your list has a web presence for its archives one could
always go there (I don't advise it as I don't like it, prefer email,
but each has his preferences).

Douglas