"P. Divirgilio" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 14 Jun 1994 19:23:02 -0400

> We had a message sent to our list, a perfectly legitimate message,
> which had a subject line which somehow acquired some nonstandard
> characters, some of which can't even be seen unless you use the
> right editor.  This thing caused some of our subscribers' systems
> to go haywire and display nothing but gibberish until they got
> out and then logged in again.  It seemed to do the same thing to
> some who got it in the digest.
>
> If possible, we would really like to edit out the offending material
> as it could cause problems when people do a database search.
>
> It has been suggested that after editing the log I should put it back with
>
> put listname logxxxxx listname (PUTC  pw=xxxxxxxx
>
> Has anyone ever done this?  I haven't tried yet as the log is the
> current one and I don't want to try to change it until it is complete,
> around midnight tonight I think.
>
> If it will work (or some other technique will) are the double lines
> of hyphens separating the items in the log an inherent part of the
> log or are they something added automatically when one "get"s the log
> to make it easier to read?  In other words, should those be edited
> out or left in?
>
> I seem to remember a discussion of this some time ago but my searches
> haven't turned up much yet.  Probably using the wrong search terms.
>
>         Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
>                     Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner

  We had that and maybe it is innocent and maybe not, but you can
  handle it easily. Just make sure that it is sent to a bad mail
  folder and not to the mail folder. This way your file will not show
  up as a corrupt file which is its maximum impact, meaning that the
  user's mail will be closed because the system sense a corrupt file
  which coudl potentially be a virus etc. We handle these files on a
  daily basis. No more problems. Some people do seem to be conscious
  that the files will disable mail service. At least they seem to come
  sporadically from the same sources. No sense getting excited if you
  can handle it. Send on the next Trojan horse.--Paul.

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]