Wed, 9 Aug 2000 04:04:20 -0500
Well, when BITNET/EARN was around sites got the LISTSERV program as
part of the package.  It was just "there" and some of the sites handed
out lists to anyone who asked for them with the caveat of no support
from the site administrator as the things were considered of little
importance, more a pest than anything else.

Not a few of the lists ran into trouble because the "owner" didn't realize
it might be work, just neat to set up all these lists (some had 10, 20, 30
lists all with one 'owner' and mail to the "owner" didn't bounce but none
was ever answered, and mail to the site administrators met the same fate).

Kinda like what you get from some postmasters at some sites when trying
to resolve a list mail delivery problem at their sites: total silence.

Douglas