Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Sep 2005 10:08:39 -0500
On 9/15/2005 4:19 PM, Nelson R. Pardee wrote:
> Really appreciated the suggestion on SUB-TOP-BANNER. Paul, I went back and
> read the postings around it, and I noticed you were trying to do under
> 1.8d. That was interesting because if it worked, it would allow avoiding
> the extra space of the SUB_TOP_BANNER. The problem seems to be the same in
> 1.8d and 14.4: COOKIE_LOGIN doesn't exist in the static page context (I
> think I'm describing this right :-).

When I tried to retrofit the logic from 1.8e to 1.8d, the variable contained
its own name, rather than a null value. In some environments, that means that
the variable does not exist, i.e., it is uninitialized. I received no response
to the question I posted on the LSTSRV-L list, and I did not pursue the issue,
because we were planning to upgrade from 1.8d to 1.8e the following month. As
it turned out, we had to postpone the upgrade, but I never went back to revisit
the issue.

The link in my original message, quoted in Nelson's message, is no longer
valid. You can see the real thing at <http://listserv.nd.edu/>. Follow any
link that requires a login (Subscriber's Corner, Archive Search, List
Management, List Moderation).

I seem to recall a recent posting from an L-Softie stating that this
functionality will be included in a future release of LISTSERV, but I
am disappointed to learn that they chose to break a useful hack before
they added the same functionality to the base product.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator