LSTOWN-L

Options: Use Monospaced Font
Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 15:09:00 -0400
text/plain (1553 bytes) , OVERVIEW MAIL.txt (2426 bytes) , text/plain (165 bytes)

|Okay, I think you're on to something here- I've seen the same type of
|question about my list ([log in to unmask]) regarding multiple
|processing hosts. Unfortunately, what you wrote above goes *right* over my
|head. Can I play clueless newbie and ask for a little more explanation?

The MOST important aspect is to understand that when someone (thing)
specifically uses the Internet to send SMTP (email), as opposed to HTTP,
FTP, NNTP (NETNEWS), TELNET, etc., that the resolution (lookup) of the
hostname to IP address is different from those other xTP processes.

Basically the SMTP client process first asks the Domain Name System if the
hostname has any "MX" Resource Records available.  If so, it recurses the
lookup of those hostnames looking for an "A" (IP address) R.R.s.   It then
prefers to try to send to those hosts in precedence (arithmetically low to
high order) where the lower numeric values are considered to be of higher
precedence.  The first such host to respond successfully to the SMTP dialog
is the "winner" of the resultant transfer of data.

What that host does with the mail is a matter of local configuration.
E.g., it might forward it to a userid lookup scheme such as CSSO/PH, or
send it directly to the userid mailbox.  It might sit on some q for a long
time.  It might bounce.  it might do nothing.  Just like any mail.

When you deal with multiple such hosts, it is clear that depending upon
which one actually received the mail might lead to different results then
when one of the other ones does.  (Different hosts for different strokes? ;-))

Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:09:00 EDT From: "Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Overview: Electronic Mail Delivery (Permission granted to reprint, though you might want to edit for your specific installation. PMW1) Determining failure locations in electronic mail requires an understanding of numerous network functions and layers. Often times, that is the work of an e-mail postmaster. Most e-mail sites support a generic e-mail address of [log in to unmask] The job of postmaster is often done as an 'other duty as assigned' or in rare instances, not at all. As you will see, e-mail just doesn't "happen" but is the result of a complex interaction of computer processes. In general, the ability to successfully transmit electronic mail (e-mail) from a LAN-based system is due to the proper administrating and functioning of: 1) the client software -- typically a package like Eudora installed on a workstation 2) your office/department LAN as operated by your system administrator 3) a mail gateway/server such as that operated by the Center for Academic Computing 4) a data backbone such as that operated by the Office of Telecommunications, and those of external service providors 5) the Domain Name System such as operated by a number of inter-dependent host sites including the Office of Telecommunications, many times in conjunction with other departments and/or external institutions or individuals 6) the proper operation of telecommunication circuits usually operated by local exchange and long distance carriers 7) the proper administration of any name (userid) lookup schemes which is controlled by both system administrators and mail users such as operated on PSU.EDU (PH) facilities 8) the proper operation of the receiving mail server such as that operated by the Office of Administrative Systems aka oas.psu.edu 9) the proper administration of the receiver's mail box, as impacted by various security software, as well as the receiver him/herself (not allowing the mail-box to overflow) (When e-mail is sent to a LISTSERV-based list, the delivery mechanisms are even more complex. Fortunately, there are personnel at Penn State who can help trace that flow.) /Pete Weiss, [log in to unmask] -- co-owner INFOSYS, TQM-L, CPARK-L, ERAPPA-L, JANITORS, LDBASE-L, et -L [log in to unmask] "I get paid by the Byte" +1 814 863 1843 31 Shields Bldg. -- Penn State -- University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA
-- mailto:[log in to unmask] Tel: +1 814 863 1843 31 Shields Bldg; University Park, PA 16802-1202 USA Powered by: LISTSERV, Eudora, Netscape, mIRC, FreeAgent

ATOM RSS1 RSS2