Thu, 25 Aug 1994 01:10:00 -0500
I'm sure that by now someone has privately answered Mr. Gerlach's questions
about his filelist problems, so nothing on that.  But here is a reminder
for new list owners working via e-mail from UNIX.  If I get anything
wrong, speak up!

If you want to get rid of something from your filelist you first have to
PUT a blank file of the same filename filetype before you can PUT the
filelist again sans the file in question.  The rub is that some mail
editors (like Pico in Pine) will not let you do that (at least I've never
found a way).  There is always at least one extra CR, which LISTSERV reads
as the replacement file.  The file in the index will indicate 0 nrecs, but
that CR is still there.  So, when you try to replace the filelist, after
removing the reference to the file in question, you are told the file
isn't empty so your filelist PUT is rejected.

Use a mail system that uses the vi editor, or something similar (I use
Elm).  Use "insert" and create a message that is nothing but the PUT
filename filetype blah blah message (don't hit the return key at the end
of the line).  Send it in and you should have a totally blank file that
will be deleted when you PUT your modified filelist.

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner