Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Jul 1997 13:36:29 GMT
I have a list that is setup as subscribe by owner.  I have modified the
MAILTPL template  as follows:

>>> ADDREQ1 &LISTNAME Membership Survey
.* chg'd 7/96 BP
.RE OWNERS
.TO &WHOM

.CE &LISTNAME Membership Questionnaire

 <much explanatory text deleted>
.fo off
// JOB
  ADD &LISTNAME &WHOM &USERNAME
// EOJ

Normally what happens is LISTSERV inserts proper values for the variables,
sends out the questionnaire to the potential subscriber, who answers and
sends back to the Listname-Request@.... generic owner address.  This
returns the 'questionnaire' to me with a pre-formatted ADD command that I
can easily FWD to LISTSERV to add the new subscriber:

>From: "Bruce E. Cobern" <[log in to unmask]>
> // JOB
>   ADD VIGIL-L [log in to unmask] Bruce E. Cobern
> // EOJ

Sometimes however, the questionnaire comes back like this:

>From: Mike Vale <[log in to unmask]>
>> // JOB
>>   ADD VIGIL-L [log in to unmask] Sam Golden
>> // EOJ

In this case the "Sam Golden" name has been added incorrectly by LISTSERV
BEFORE it sends the questionnaire out.  The subscriber left it alone so it
came back to me with the wrong name.

The only thing I know is that there is a Sam Golden person who previously
made several attempts to subscribe but had some difficulty with his mailer
making a proper reply (he uses Juno...).  This suggests LISTSERV has an
open 'cookie' for the signup that it draws this name from occasionally.
This has happened 3 times out of last 12 subs, so approx 25% of time I have
to change the ADD line to the correct name.

How can I 'kill' this bad name floating around inside LISTSERV and make
LISTSERV read the correct username?  Or do I just live with it or will it
eventually expire?

 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]