Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 11:52:53 -0500
On 11/9/2005 09:37, Chris Barnes wrote:
> Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> At 23:27 11/8/2005 Tuesday, Eric Johnson wrote:
>>>   The fact of the matter is that you can not ban a person from an
>>> email list without some really strenuous checking. What you really
>>> can do is ban a personna. If you toss a person and they come back
>>> with a different account but behave, haven't you achieved the goal?
>>
>> More complicated than that: persona "A" subscribes on-list, but
>> persona "B" harasses off-list.  How do you relate that "A" and "B"
>> are the same?
>
> IP address of the sender in the Received: headers....

This is not a reliable indicator that different messages were sent by the
same individual. I can think of several reasons why messages from different
individuals might have the same source IP address in the initial 'Received'
header.
* The messages were sent by different individuals from a shared computer.
* The messages were sent from different computers that connect to the SMTP
   server through the same proxy server.
* The messages were sent by different individuals using the same webmail
   service.
* The messages might were sent from different systems which acquired the
   same dynamically assigned IP address.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator