Jim Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 18 Apr 1993 23:30:57 EST
 Ah yes, bit again by the same bug...  If I overtax JHUVM's SMTP server,
 the results are random (and generally bogus) results to DNS queries.
 I had recently routed all LISTSERV mail to .AC.UK to JHUVM's SMTP and that
 was enough to blow up the NAMESRV machine.  I've re-routed all the mail
 for .AC.UK to the Bitnet/JANET gateway at UKACRL so the problem should
 be fixed.  I'll have to deal with the queued mail on JHUVM's SMTP server
 but no new garbage should be generated!  For what it's worth, the change
 in routing of .AC.UK mail was intended to coincide with the installation
 of TCP/IP 2.2, which I believe fixes this problem.  But that switch was
 postponed for "procedural" reasons after I had already made the change to
 to a LISTSERV table.  My apologies to everyone that suffered as a result
 of this mishap.

 -jj

 PS - Kudo's to Peter Weiss, who figured out the problem before I did!