Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:23:51 -0500
At 09:07 12/06/2000 Wednesday, Scout wrote:
 >> It is like allowing a subscriber (perhaps a misbehaving one) to
 >> change NOPOST to POST.
 >
 >Never use that except as a marker with NOMAIL for subscriptions that are
 >bouncing.  If a subscriber is violating list rules.. they either go to
 >REVIEW.. or get Nuked.  NOPOST just means they'd bypass the list and
 >send responses to list posts via private email to list subscribers.

My own attempt at a clarification of this, for those who have just joined
LSTOWN-L in the last year:

Setting a subscriber to NOMAIL *and* NOPOST is a useful management
technique when there are *multiple* list-owners dealing with bounced
mail.  Instead of simply deleting the subscriber (also a useful
technique), the options that are set as a "marker" aka clue for the other
list-owners to recognize (maybe a couple of months hence) that this
subscription had had previous delivery problems.  Besides the list-owner
"marker," it also prevents the poster from sending a spurious message to
the list, instead of to the list-owners, "why aren't I getting mail???"

The subscriber *finally* contacts the list-owners, probably via the
listname-REQUEST address complaining.  L-Os then get a chance to
elucidate and educate about the previous technical problem.