"David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Apr 1995 14:17:55 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, LISTSERV list
owners' forum <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Although, you have not used any information that has not been available
> via the Listserv facilities, you have now made this information highly
> visable(yes I know that was the objective). What it does mean is that I
> now have some additional work to do to ensure that each owner of my lists
> realises that their list is available via the Web in this manner.

   This was a concern of mine when I was initially planning the design of
my Mailing List WWW Gateway (available at
<URL:http://www.netspace.org/cgi-bin/
lwgate>), which certainly isn't ambitious as the tile.net project. So
maybe I'll share some of the concerns I ran in to:
   Most people don't realize just *how* easy it is to forge email. An
interface such as the WWW when used by the clients we have access to today
makes it very obvious to users that Listserv commands can be abused. I
wanted to consider this problem when designing my project, but ultimately,
I'm not sure if there's an ideal solution.
   Furthermore, List Owners involved in my original test group didn't want
it to be so convenient for people browsing the WWW to post to their lists
that all such people would have to do is click on a link and type a
message; while just listing a list address (that's not a link to a mailto
URL) merely makes it more cumbersome, the List Owners were much happier
with this setup.
   That said, tile.net's interface is very interesting and looks like a
lot of hard work went into it.

--dwb--

David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>