"Storm A. King" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 07:36:21 -0700
In preparation for my dissertation on the value of on-line support
groups, I have received official permission from my school to survey
current efforts to provide professional counseling services by the
Internet.

I do not want to just spam all the psychology and support groups
with my request for subjects to take my survey.
I am asking this group for help.  Please read the two notes below,
and send the indicated on to anyone you know that may have
received or provided Internet counseling, or that may know of someone.
I think this is called a snowball survey request, getting people to
forward the note on till it reaches the subject pool of interest.
Thanks,
Storm

---------- letter to forward to providers on net counseling -----------

I am conducting research that will describe the extent of
professional efforts to counsel or advise people by email.

If you have ever advised or counseled anyone over the net
in a professional relationship, for a fee or for free,
I would greatly appreciate it if you would drop by my site at

http://www.best.com/~storm/survey/

and take a few minutes to fill out a survey questionnaire.

I am also surveying consumers of the services that provide
email advice or counseling.  Please consider sending this
notice to anyone you know that may have been counseled or
advised over the net, so they may participate in the survey.

Complete confidentiality is assured to all participants.
This research was approved by the school I attend,
the Pacific Graduate School of Psychology, located in
Palo Alto, CA.

Please contact me by email if you have any questions or
concerns about this study.

Thank you.

Storm A King,  psychologist in training
http://www.best.com/~storm

------- letter to forward to receivers of net counseling ---------

I am seeking people that have received professional counseling or advice
by email to fill out a short survey questionnaire. If you have ever used
the services of a professional mental health worker (psychologist,
psychiatrists, MFCC or any kind of social worker) and have been
counseled or advised by them over the Internet, for free or for a fee,
please consider participating in this research project. The goal of this
research is to inform the mental health community about these new
Internet services.
If you would like to participate, please log on to my web site at
http://www.best.com/~storm/survey/

This research was approved by the school I attend, the Pacific Graduate
School of Psychology located in Palo Alto, CA.  Complete confidentiality
is assured to all participants.

Please contact me by email if you have any questions or concerns about
this study.

Thank you.
Storm A King,  psychologist in training

Storm A. King       [log in to unmask]