Wed, 20 May 1998 01:29:09 -0500
> This now seems to have corrected itself. I suspect that it was because we
> had reached about 94% of our quota.

I'm glad you found the problem.  In situations such as you described the
answer is, from experience, nine times out of ten, you are out of space,
either that allocated to you or the physical limit of your host system.

LISTSERV error messages should not always be taken literally.  There can't
be a customized error message for every unthought of eventuality so it
does the best it can, with the boilerplate error messages it has.  An
invalid password error can really throw you and lead you down blind alleys
until you figure out that what is really meant is that you are trying to
"put" something which LISTSERV won't accept (unacceptable characters,
acceptable characters in invalid positions, etc.).

The important thing is that you DID get an error message, letting you know
SOMETHING is wrong.  You're a listowner, you exist to figure these things
out, with maybe a little help from your peers (used loosely, maybe we
should have a house of commons and a house of lords, I fit in the
commons).

Just don't take the error messages too literally.

Douglas