Garrie Burr <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 17:22:36 CDT
Sent this off to SPAM-L, too...

Has anyone dealt with the 'Fredrik Williamsberg' person who for years,
apparently, attempts to subscribe to lists on listserve?  His only
consistency is that he uses a different address every time...but he
keeps trying several times a week like clockwork.

On our listserv console logs, while trying to figure out where
another spam came from I noticed that one of his messages 'really'
came from [log in to unmask], but that may be because
he tried subscribing with an 'answerme.com' host/domain.

Given that he uses a different address all the time I'm trying to
find if there's a way to 'filter' by the subscriber's name rather
than address...

ALSO:  This last weekend we got hit pretty bad with subscription
attempts with a few more commonalities.

1) sub attempts to our lists from different addresses but with
the user name 'Washington University NIH Guide Distribution'.

2) sub attempts to our lists from different addresses but with
the user name given as the name of the list itself.

I think the two are related -- one of the error messages I got back
from the lists requiring confirmation looked like the person had
taken a LIST file received from listserv and edited it by adding
the SUBSCRIPTION command in front of the list address, leaving the
list name as the 'user name'.

EXAMPLE:

SUBSCRIBE MAAL-L Mid-American Association of Law Libraries
SUBSCRIBE IHOUSE-L International House List

Not really sure if there's answers for these problems, or preventive
measures...but venting this off to the list makes it feel a _little_
better...

--Garrie Burr
  Information Systems
  Washington University in St. Louis