"M. LEBLANC" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:31:19 EST
Daniel Norton wrote:

>>=20 appear at the end of lines, while the =3D appear in strings,
>>at the top of some paragraphs. (As in: =3D=3D=3D=3D etc.)
>
>This is all MIME-embedded junk.  The =20 is a space character.  The 3D=
>is actually an =3D, the hex value for an ASCII/IA5 equals sign (=).

Ok, that makes sense. The =============== line would appear below the
heading, before the text begins and between various sections.

What's the difference between US ASCII and ASCII/IA5?

>>The subscriber is no tyro and says he posted these the same way he has
>>for years. Obviously *something* is different though!
>
>He started using a different or updated mailer that inserts MIME junk.

This has to be it. I'll find out for sure what he's changed to.

I did do a search in dejanews for his annual posts 1996, and he didn't
have any Mime-Version: or Content-Type: lines in his header. Big clue,
that.

>These are the key indicators in the header:
>
>>Any ideas? The Mime-Version: 1.0 and a switch that need to be reset,
>>maybe?
>>The Content-Type: text/plain; charset=X-Roman8 perhaps?

What's Roman8 do you figure? Something that can handle 8th bit things?
Could the Mime be (wait for it eric ;-) ) ... butting heads with the
Roman8?  Maybe it's all somehow defaulting out that ASCII/IA5?

>It could be that one group was moderated and the moderator's software
>cleaned up the junk.

He's been self moderated in the couple of years I've been here. Mailing
straight to the list address with no review. This is the 3rd set of these
annual files he's put through, but the first to mess up this way.

>Was there an X-Mailer header line?

No, but I figure it's probably something by Microsoft.  :-)

Eudora seems to figure in a lot of things I've been skimming through.
(A search in *comp* for =20 =3D=3D  done on dejanews)

>--
>Daniel

Thank you. :-)

Maureen :-)