Wed, 21 Jun 2006 18:21:15 -0500
On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Kevin Parris wrote:
> To be excruciatingly precise, one does not login to the archive.  One
> may login to the site - you can establish a LISTSERV(tm) password
> without regard to subscriber status on any of the lists hosted by any
> particular site - the server doesn't care if you subscribe, it requires
> only that you receive and respond to the "magic cookie" email.

Yes, I have known for at least 16 years that LISTSERV passwords of this
type are host site specific, not list specific.  That, though, does not
change what Russ Hunt said:

> I had to put "public" in the line -- and after that, the addresses
> were masked (except to subscribers with a password). Which is what I
> wanted.

N.B. He says "subscribers with a password".  He does not say nonsubscribers
with passwords.  "Subscribers with passwords" = private list.

Douglas Winship  [log in to unmask]