"Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 9 May 1994 09:24:00 EDT
>  As for instructing users how to set their options I don't tell
>them to use the TELL LISTSERV ... interactive command since that
>doesn't apply to all platforms (e.g., for VAX/VMS systems it
>would have to be:  SEND LISTSERV... "SET listname DIGEST")
>  Instead I tell them to address an email message to LISTSERV@NODE
>that says:  SET listname option
>  That works regardless of what platform the user is on.

Good advice, PLUS Bitnet messaging (TELL/$SEND) is not a reliable
form of data communications since it does NOT store the message if
a link/host is down.  Also, some VMS systems truncate the userid
to 8 characters which is a hassle in some configurations (if local
aliases have not been setup).

/P