Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 09:09:09 PDT
On Tue, 9 Aug 1994 10:08 EDT P. Divirgilio <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Dear Listowners:

Most of this discussion belongs on "privacy" mailing-lists, rather than
LSTOWN-L, so note my "reply-to" tag, but I must comment on one point:

> ... but as a spectator at a conference, I learned that during Irangate,
> the President could not protect his email [sic],
> nor claim that it was private communications.

Since the USA President was elected by the people of his country,
and is an employee of them, any work he does for them becomes
the peoples' intellectual-property, not his personal property.
Similarly, any E-mail he sends using his employer's hardware & software
is, by definition, not "personal" communications.

Of course, since he lives in the White House, there are limits.
If he meets with a veterinarian tending to his cat,
that is his "private" business.