"Stan G. Ryckman" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:41:27 -0500
At 10:09 PM 2/4/97 -0600, Kimberly Long wrote:
>I've never had a problem doing this before but for some reason, it's not
>sticking this time.  I have a user that wants to get rid of her full name
>that shows up in the From: line when she posts.  I changed her settings as
>requested and it appears to have taken when you query her address:
>
>> query crone for [log in to unmask]
>Subscription options for Meta4 * <[log in to unmask]>, list CRONE:
>
>MAIL           You are sent individual postings as they are received
>FULLHDR        Full (normal) mail headers (formerly "FULLBSMTP")
>REPRO          You receive a copy of your own postings
>ACK            Short e-mail acknowledgement of successfully processed
>               postings
>

>Yet when her posts show hit the list, I am still seeing her full name in
>the From: line:

[snip]

>From: Marcia Requa <[log in to unmask]>

>How can I rectify this?  I have even tried unsubscribing her and then
>resubscribing her to no avail.  Thanks in advance

I think that listserv doesn't use its stored name in the outgoing mail
*unless* mail arrives with no name.  Thus if she's sending:
        From: Marcia Requa <[log in to unmask]>
or
        From: [log in to unmask] (Marcia Requa)
it will be posted that way rather than what's stored.  (Note: IETFHDR
subscribers *never* see the stored name.)  Given this, she'll need
to change what she sends out on her mail (the means of which depends
on how she sends mail) if she cares.

This post is a test of that--if my middle initial shows in the From:
header, then it's using my From: header on this mail, and not the
stored name from when I subscribed.  (If it doesn't show, then ignore
the above.  :-)

>--
>Namaste'

(now I have a convenient chance to ask you what "Namaste'" means.)

>Kimberly Long
>mailto:[log in to unmask]

Cheers,
Stan Ryckman ([log in to unmask])